The most successful relationships are the kind where both parties feel they are transformed into the best versions of themselves by being together. Having a built-in life partner is such an amazing opportunity for growth if both people are on board with a genuine desire to evolve on a daily basis.
I have developed some simple tricks with my husband to help keep each other on-track and support our mutual goals of becoming better every day. Here are a few we find helpful:
1. Become accountability buddies
· Keep each other on-track as accountability buddies. Here’s how it works: say one of us is heading to the gym with a plan to run four miles. We’ll set the intention by letting the other one know our plan, and then we’ll send each other a picture of the treadmill dashboard at the end to prove we completed our goal. It seems simple, but it really mitigates that “maybe I’ll just do three miles and hop off” thinking and helps towards achieving goals and feeling proud of yourself after the workout.
2. Share a daily gratitude text together
· Getting grounded in gratitude is a terrific way to develop a positive mindset and reframe negative any thoughts that creep in. We like to do it mid-morning once we’ve begun the workday and may be starting to feel the typical anxiety of our respective workloads. We share one thing we are grateful for that day, and spend a moment focusing on all of our positive gifts from the universe. It makes the small minutia of work stress seem a lot less daunting in the grand scheme of things.
3. Set a daily meditation practice together
· Whether you’re a seasoned meditator or a beginner, everyone can benefit from getting quiet, centered, and focused. The problem is, most of us say we want to meditate but then never do it. We kept reading about successful people who made meditation a part of their morning ritual and realized if these CEOs, celebrities, and leaders of industry could find a few moments to get quiet, then we probably could too. Making it a joint practice can be very helpful. We like to use Gaiam’s Meditation Studio App, which has short (some 2- and 5-minutes) meditations. That’s truly all it takes to feel the positive benefits of meditation.
4. Calendar your workout schedule for the week (and make it a non-negotiable!)
· Sunday is a great day to take a look at your week together and schedule your workouts. Once they’re set, help each other make sure they are a priority. Work and family life can get hectic, but without prioritizing wellness, we are no good to anyone else. Make sure you’ve made any necessary arrangements (pack your bag the night before an early workout, arrange childcare, etc) to ensure you don’t get stuck having to change your plans at the last minute.
5. Set goals together
· Sign up for a 5k, or even plan a warm weather trip (hello, bathing suits!) so you have an end-goal in mind and can work backwards from there with a training & nutrition plan. Recently, we planned a fitness photo shoot for our Instagram handle, @NYCfitfam. This gave us a fun reason to focus ourselves and make a joint, sustainable plan that we could both follow together. We’ve also signed up for the New York Marathon this year, a bucket list goal for both of us! We can’t wait to hit our training runs together all summer. Doing it together ensures we’ll actually follow through.