“We love sweets, but always make sure that our indulgences are packed with wholesome ingredients. We love these Carrot & Zucchini Bars because they provide a great way to sneak in your veggies while still indulging a little!”
INGREDIENTS - BARS:
· 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· ½ teaspoon ground ginger
· ¼ teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 cup egg whites
· 1 ½ cups shredded carrot
· 1 medium zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
· ¾ cup packed brown sugar
· ½ cup raisins
· ½ cup chopped walnuts
· ½ cup cooking oil
· ¼ cup agave
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 cup dark chocolate semi-sweet chocolate chips
INGREDIENTS – CITRUS CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
· 1 eight-ounce package cream cheese, softened
· ½ Cup Powdered Sugar (or if you’re trying to cut calories, grind Splenda & cornstarch in a blender instead)
· 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
· Frosting Prep: In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar (or substitute) with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add orange peel.
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda.
· In another large bowl stir together egg whites, carrot, zucchini, brown sugar, raisins, walnuts, apple sauce, agave, vanilla, and chocolate chips.
· Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined.
· Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
· Bake about 25 minutes and allow to cool completely
· Frost with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into bars.
· Makes 36 bars.